Osimhen, Nwakali, Two Others Called Up By Samson Siasia For U23 Championship


Nigeria U17’s Victor Osimhen, Kelechi Nwakali, John Lazarus and Udochukwu Anumudu have been called up by coach Samson Siasia to join the Nigeria U23 team ahead of preparations for the 2015 African U23 championship billed for Senegal.

 
The quartet played key role in the Golden Eaglet’s triumph in Chile where they lifted the Fifa U17 World Cup for a record fifth time after defeating Mali 2-0 in the final.

Having secured the consent of the Nigeria Football Federation, Siasia said their invitation is a reward for hard work and a proof that they can progress to the senior cadre.

"I have been monitoring the progress of these boys while the team was being built by my brother, Emmanuel Amuneke,” said Siasia.

“Don't forget we were in the same hotel and used the same pitch to train and I have been impressed with what I saw them do in Chile, so I think what I just did was rewarding them for a job well done.

"Their invitation is only to tell other players that they too can progress to the senior cadre if they are level headed and keep working on their game.

“For me age is not a factor; if they can give me what I want, then they will be part of my team to Senegal. But they must justify their invitation for no player in my team has automatic shirt,” he concluded.

The players will join the team in Gambia after staying with their families for a week. Goal

Comments